i started this at first to just like and re-blog things i found hilarious but now i am finding i might actually have something to say. most of the time this blog is just ridiculousness, but with a splash of science, religion and politics... oh and kitties!!!
Have you seen The Punk Singer? It's a documentary about Kathleen Hannah. I just saw it and I think you would appreciate it. It's playing in various indie theaters now... (I guess I can't tumblr-ask you a link but the google-able website lists venues, etc.)
YES - i was lucky enough to see it when it played at SXSW last march, and i got to meet kathleen hannah, who’s been a mentor to me long distance.
i think the film is INCREDIBLE and i hope all aspiring musicians and feminists watch it. for those of you in the dark: kathleen hannah was the singer of bikini kill & a force behind riot grrl.
i saw a lot of myself in her, especially her difficulties accepting help from other people, and her struggle to be a powerful feminist leader/bad-ass while remaining a human being with vulnerabilities. i cried a couple times. squeezed neil’s hand a lot. its a really powerful documentary. PLUS, it was made through kickstarter. fuck yeah kickstarter, makin’ movies.
here’s a link to it, everybody. go see.
Seems like there’s more backlash against Black Friday this year than ever before. Would you agree?
I keep hoping each year the backlash will result in something substantial, but corporations and consumers don’t seem to care very much.
Putting up Xmas decorations tomorrow instead.
The Arte Sella, looks to be one of the most magical, fairytale woodlands in the world. Since 1986 this astounding destination in the Sella Valley in Italy has been dotting the landscape with the amazing works of over 200 contemporary artists from all over the world. A future holiday destination for sure!
NOT A JOKE: Photos from Personhood for Women
Also, check out National Advocates for Pregnant Women, org that stands up for the rights of women (often the ones with the least means) who have no way of debunks bad science and challenges religious lunatics in courts.
There is no “debate” about choice. Either women are people or we’re not.
*Doesn’t affect just women but people with uteruses, ok? Still very important
10 Signs Your Kitty Actually Loves You
Ever wondered if your kitty really loves you? From finicky to feisty, our feline friends aren’t always the easiest to read. Unlike dogs who make their affection for us loud and clear, cats have far less obvious ways of communicating how they feel. If you want to discover just how much your cat cares about you, then check out these 10 signs of true love.
1. Head butting. If a person were to do it to you, then you’d have a pretty good idea of what they were trying to tell you, but with a cat it’s a whole different story. To be on the receiving end of what is actually known in the cat world as ‘head bunting‘ is a very special privilege indeed. During this exchange your cat deposits facial pheromones that represent their feelings of trust and safety they have with you.
2. Powerful purrs. Cats purr for all sorts of reasons, but there is one unique full bodied rumble that your kitty saves exclusively for their true love. Purring also lowers your kitty’s heart rate and helps them to relax and exhibit feelings of contentment.
3. Love bites. If your cat is a chronic nibbler, then chances are they’ve got a thing for you. It’s pretty easy to tell the difference between a love bite and a regular cat bite, one hurts and the other tickles! Nibbling isn’t a common sign of love, but when a cat employs it, they’re trying to say “you’re awesome.”
4. Tail twitching. You can tell a lot by looking at a cat’s tail. Just as their tails puff out when they get scared or agitated, their tail will twitch at the very tip when they are feeling bliss. If you notice this action when your cat approaches you, then you can be sure that they think you rock their world.
5. Tummy up. When your cat throws itself on the floor and starts rolling around, they are trying to get your attention. Cats only show their tummies voluntarily to those they can trust. Feeling safe means a lot to a cat, so when they sprawl out in front of you, this is a sign that they feel loved and protected.
6. Licking your hair or ears. It’s not often that humans are deemed worthy of these very special grooming sessions, but if your cat has chosen to bestow you with hair or ear licking, rest assured you have been welcomed into the inner circle. Grooming is one of the most obvious signs of the friendship and trust you have with your furry companion.
7. Kneading. Kittens knead against their mothers to stimulate milk production, which is why experts believe that kneading behaviour in cats is nostalgic of kittenhood and acts as a way of reliving the happy moments they experienced as little ones. So next time your kitty starts moving its paws up and down on you, remember that they are not just trying to soften you up before taking a nap, but that they’re expressing their adoration for you.
8. Slow blinking. It is said that cats kiss with their eyes, so don’t expect to share this sign of affection with any old cat. Cats save eye contact for people they know and trust. If that eye contact is coupled with slow blinking then you’ve just received a kitty kiss. Return the love by mimicking the behavior.
9. Nap time. Kitties crave warm safe places to sleep, so if your fluffy feline decides to snuggle down beside you or better yet, on your lap, then you should feel especially honored. Cats are most vulnerable when they are sleeping, and there is no greater compliment than when they choose you as their snooze spot.
10. Gifting. There is no denying that a small dead something is not at the top of our wishlist, but a kitty that presents you with this bounty deserves to be praised. Despite our domestication, cats still have the inner hunter and sharing their prizes with you is a sign of true friendship.
If you’ve been fortunate enough to share your life with a cat, then you’ll understand that they are consciously connecting with us. Whether it’s via grooming, purring or snuggling up, cats are loving and affectionate individuals that form very special bonds with their favorite people.
one of my cats used to gift me food from the kitchen bc he was an indoor only cat, it was so cute he’d bring me bagels and loaves of bread :’)